Tigermama talks

Monday, October 02, 2006

Two weeks in one post!

Last week we went camping with some friends and had a blast. The "campground" (and I use that term loosely) was HUGE and equipped with two large playgrounds, a gym, tennis courts, a full water park with slides, 3 walking trails, a rocky beach, and bike rentals. I wish I had a camera (that works!) as I`d love to show you how EVERY SINGLE CAMPSITE had the same tent, the same canopy, the same tables, the same lawn chairs, and the same blue coolers....including ours. I guess the only camping gear availiable here on Okinawa is this particular brand.

The weather was gorgeous and we especially had fun at the water park. Too bad it will be closed from the end of September on. There are crazy unwritten rules about the proper time for bathing in Japan. I had thought Okinawa would be different but it`s not. So, even though temperatures remain in the high 20`s with sunny skies and lots of humidity, NOBODY will be swimming in pools and only the really crazy people will be swimming in the ocean. Luckily, I`ve always been crazy and its worn off on TP (Tigerpapa) and kids so we enjoy the water wherever (and whenever) we go!

The only negative aspect of the whole trip was the incredibly drunk and LOUD neighbors across the street who kept everyone awake until they passed out around 1am. I guess it`s another cultural difference because if you behaved that way in a campground in Canada, you would be warned and then kicked out. Oh well, we made sure to send the kids biking around their campsite as soon as they woke up the next morning (around 6am). Hahahaha.

This past weekend was pretty low-key. My church was showing movies about St. Francis since the feast of St. Francis is this week and our church is named for him. Anyhoo, I saw Francesco and Brother Sun Sister Moon. Both movies were really interesting and told about the life of St. Francis which, I must admit, I didn`t know much about. I preferred the first movie as it was more realistic (I think?!) and "darker" with much better acting. Anyway, if you are interested in learning about St. Francis, go on out and rent these dvds.

Sunday was a festival at the church including a really loud band, a crazy clown, and lots of food and beer. Fun was had by all...especially Kiana who was chosen by the clown to assist in a balloon-making endeavor.

Ja ne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home