Tigermama talks

Monday, February 28, 2011

4 months

We gave our 2-months notice on our apartment yesterday. We will move into a serviced apartment for May/June and then it's back to Japan (probably Tokyo). I can't believe we only have 4 more months in Beirut. So, on that note, I will start to blog about all of the things I will miss (or NOT miss) about this crazy place.

Today as I was walking home from a coffee shop I decided to stop in at one of the many fresh fruit/veggie stalls in my neighborhood to pick up a few things. The guy running the shop knows me and always teases me about my lack of Arabic. I always comment that there is no room in my head for Arabic because of the Japanese rattling around in there. Today he said, "konnichiwa". I will miss the friendliness of my neighborhood and the good-natured teasing of the local shopkeepers. I will also miss the fact that I can buy locally grown and organic fruit and vegetables for a pittance. Today it was avocados, red onions, bananas, strawberries, potatoes, baby carrots, ginger, pears, and some apples for less than $8!

8 Comments:

  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger shinshu life said…

    Oh wow. What a change that's going to be for you all. At least weather-wise Summer in Tokyo isn't that far off Beirut, right? ;P

    And I will send you a welcome home box of apples to ease you into the ridiculous prices. :)

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    It's hot diggity here and there so not much change for the weather.

    Apples grown in Japan are the VERY best....wld gratefully receive apples from you!

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger gaijinwife said…

    wow - I want the fruit and veggie shop. Moving back to Tokyo after that will definitely be hard. I hope the next few month aren't too sad and that you get all the opportunities you need to say goodbye - for the time being anyway.

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Lily said…

    Has time passed this quickly? When we saw each other I had one child prepping for preschool and one baby...now that preschooler is almost off to elementary school, baby starts preschool and still have another baby at home.
    You and your beautiful family experienced the chance of a lifetime, I wish I were still in Aobadai so I could hear all your interesting stories in person. Enjoy the next few months and good luck with the move.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Thanks GW. :-) It's going to be very sad saying goodbye to my friends here.

    Lily! You remember you brought me a tea in a starbucks thermos? I actually copied pictures from your blog, printed them out, and used them to decorate the mug thinking I'd give it back to you before we left for Beirut. It's still at my in-laws house....in the genkan! I promise to bring it to you some time next year! And, who knows? We might not be in Tokyo.

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Gina said…

    Can't believe your time is up over there. Enjoy your last 4 months. : )

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Thanks Gina, I can't believe it either!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I keep sending a thought to the universe that it might bring you to Nara! whereever it is, we can't wait to have you back here.
    It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since you said you were moving to Beirut, please post more about the things you are going to miss.
    Who knows maybe we'll get the chance to go there together one day!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home