Tigermama talks

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

That Place

I do not know where to begin in describing a certain place we toured back in August. It is nestled in the mountains near Beiteddine and is one of the weirdest places I have ever been in my whole life. There was no theme, no discernible meaning to the displays that I could pinpoint but I do know the story behind it. The name of this place is "Castle Moussa"! Apparently, Mr. Moussa (an architect) had a dream to build a castle to impress (and win the heart of) the girl he loved. He built the castle by himself over a period of about 50 years using 6,500 hand carved tablets. None of the tablets are the same. If you look closely at the picture below, you can see the different carving on each stone. It`s really quite amazing:


There were displays. Many displays. Some were depicting Lebanese life at various times in history:


*Note the hands and feet on the floor at the front of the second display (more on that later).

Some more happy:


than others:


There were internationally famous scenes:


As well as guns. Lots and lots of guns. I`ve never seen so many guns in one place:



*There was also a marked interest in severed appendages:



Here are the kids at the end of the tour:

Tigerboy looks psychologically damaged and Tigergirl looks a bit worried but I`m sure they had a good time!

11 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for your well wishes on the venture-- I HAVE to make it work- I went for BROKE.

    This is amazing, I never realized how much rich culture there is where you are, the little one's are so lucky to experience this.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    It really was amazing AND strange. I was hoping to meet the architect but he wasn`t around on the day we went. Maybe next time.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Lulu said…

    Oh wow- that castle is amazing- the detail in the tablets that made it up is so beautiful!

    Also, tigerboy & tigergirl are so cute!!!They really look alike too (although they probably hate to hear that- I certainly did when people told me that my brother & I look alike!)

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger shinshu life said…

    Meet the architect? You mean this is not a 100s of years ago folly? Wow. And they say romance is dead. Did it work? I mean maybe it's just me but severed appendages just don't do it for me!

    And the Tigerkids look like they survived ok- plenty worse stuff at a Japanese funeral afterall!

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Lulu, thank you! The kids really do look alike and I often get comments about it on their pictures. In real life, however, very few people say that they look alike. I think it`s because of their very different personalities.

    Do you still look like your brother now that you are adults?

    Fukases, I don`t think it worked...probably because it took him so long to complete the castle.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Kappa no He said…

    I just frightened my family laughing so hard. Those remarks about the kids were hilarious. I'm sure they'll REMEMBER that trip. How surreal!!

    Terrie

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Terrie, there were a lot of questions about the hands and feet. I said that it was a kind of Modern Art. ;)

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    I was going to ask if it worked as well!! Guess Fuka beat me too it. Well at least he had a castle to show for it!!

    Tigerboy and Tigergirl are too cute! They don't seem to worse for wear!!

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Hi Sara, he has an incredibly succesful castle, at that. There are even Lebanese Tours during the summer and a camel outside for camel rides. :)

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger jan in nagasaki said…

    damn, woman... you are seeing so much while you are there... look at all the memories you are building!!!!!

    I kind of like those hands and feet.... very cool...

    now that the experience is over, what do your kids have to say???

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Hi Jan! The kids must have liked it because they wanted to stop when we drove past on a different outing. A lot of the displays were motorized so they were even more interesting than the pictures depict.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home