Tigermama talks

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

More Food

We love curry. Indian, Thai (green, red, and our most favourite of all....YELLOW), and Japanese. We`ve had yellow curry twice this week but I`ve run out of my supply of coconut powder so we won`t get to have it again for awhile:



The following appetizer was enjoyed by us last week at dinner. I will send a prize of the *"Hello Kitty" variety to anyone who can tell me what it is made of and what`s inside of it. People in Japan are not allowed to answer because it`s an item at a chain restaurant here and, obviously, they will know what it is:



We had lunch at our favourite revolving sushi restaurant on Sunday. Each plate is only \100 (aproximately $1) regardless of what it contains and it`s really really good:



My favourite item there is the "abura ebi" which is a piece of shrimp seared with the blowtorch and covered with a mentaiko-mayo topping (mentaiko is a spicy fish egg). Not quite sushi but delicious:



Lastly, I purchased this box of chocolates at the grocery store today thinking it was orange flavoured. I should have looked more closely because it`s actually melon flavoured...GROSS! I`ll have to give it to the kids after they do some tricks for me.



And that remote control is for the air conditioner....we are still using it, believe it or not!

Mata ne.

*Male readers (dad, brothers, perhaps an uncle?) don`t worry, Hello Kitty is not just for girls. There are plenty of "manly" Hello Kitty items around Japan!

12 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger illahee said…

    what the hell is that??

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Trisha said…

    Would you mind passing on the recipe for yellow curry- it looks delicious!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    I sometimes make my own curry paste but this curry comes from a paste that I buy. Just saute 3 tbls of the paste in 1 cup of coconut milk then add another cup of coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add 200g of meat (we use chicken) and let cook for awhile. Then add onion, potato, and okra or green beans and 1/2 cup of water. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add a couple tbls of fish sauce (nampla) and wait another 5 minutes or so. You can get the paste at most import stores.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there is a guessing game and Japan residents are disqualified and I have no idea what is in that curry.

    so. what is coconut powder and is it the same as flaked cocnut. or shredded cocpnut and I can get the shredded stuff.... do you need me to send you some?????

    is powder different. I have never seen powder. and today we got cold . stove on cold. how about there???? do ya need a panta????

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Coconut milk powder is something I bring back from Canada. You add water to the powder and you get coconut milk. I can buy the cans here sometimes so I`m not totally screwed!

    You have to guess what the orange ball is, not what`s in the curry. Since you obviously don`t know what it is, you can participate in the contest! Go to it!

    We are not cold but it`s getting cooler. I`d love a panta for my upcoming trip to Yokohama! :)

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what color preference and when do you go to yokohama. and maybe that appetizer is a giant octopus ball.!!!!!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Black for my panta...or dark earthy tones. We go to Yokohama on the 22nd of December. And that appetizer is not an octopus ball!

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my guess is it's a potatoe fritter

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ... or a big cornmeal muffin!

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kristinmarie (aka Anonymous) also wants to guess it's a battered and deep-fried meatball :)
    I really love Hello Kitty, are you going to set a limit for prize entries yet???

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Not a potato fritter
    Not a cornmeal muffin
    Not a meatball

    You are allowed unlimited guesses.

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seeing as us Japanese residents are allowed to comment, it is a Sicilian rice croquette from Capriciosa!! The inside is yummy rice and oozing cheese! It is one of my favourite things here and a few of my friends who I was here on exchange here with often ask about this particular appetiser as they lurve it!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home