Tigermama talks

Friday, July 04, 2008

Internet woes

I never know when it`s going to cut out and I can`t seem to upload any pictures to my blog or through my hotmail. I`m currently trying some alternative ways to upload and will see if that works. If not, I`ll just have to use my powers of description.

Not only does the internet cut out, but the electricity does as well. It hadn`t bothered me because the generator always starts up right away and things go right back to normal but then it happened right when we waiting for the elevator to take us up to our apartment. Now all I can think about is what would happen if we were actually IN the elevator and between floors or something. Eek!

Then we have the noise. I mentioned the honking right? Well, it is constant and it doesn`t seem to matter what time of day or night it is. People will honk for anything and everything. Of course you can get used to honking. Gunshots, on the other hand, are a bit harder to get used to! At midnight a few days ago there was sudden and sporadic shots along with honking and yelling. The reason: Spain won the European Cup. Apparently the Lebanese like to celebrate with shooting their guns into the air. Yeeeehaw!

We have been looking at apartments all this week and last. Hopefully we will find something soon. It`s hard to know what`s what when you have people telling you conflicting things about where you should live. Is it better to live downtown where it`s noisy (gunshots, remember?!) and where the kid`s school is located? Or, is it better to live a bit outside downtown where it`s quieter but you have to face horrible traffic every morning? As for the apartments themselves, it seems we will get something pretty nice and large enough for GUESTS (hint hint!).

Here`s a few random shots of Beirut (if I can upload pictures!):











Hey, it works!

11 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger marianne said…

    Great pics...congratulations! Love the look of the old colonnial building.And the food;)

    The kids look very happy.How are they doing?BTW,do you get a lot of "gaijin" tye attention there?

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger jan in nagasaki said…

    yo dude, how is the local beer?? is it good??? or do you drink imported stuff??? and the food, what is it like??? lots of veggie options or heavy on the meat????

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sheri said…

    Nice to hear from you! Been wondering how things were going.
    Hope you find a good place soon.
    :)

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Hi Marianne, the kids are doing great. I`m surprised at how well they have adapted. They will start a summer day camp tomorrow at one of the International schools here. It will be good for them to get out and meet some kids.

    Jan, The local beer is quite tasty...comparable to Asahi Super Dry. You would love the food. It`s very vegetarian friendly. Lots of chickpeas, pitas, and veggies. The meat is usually on a kabob so it`s easy to avoid if you want!

    Sheri, we are doing well! Hopefully we will find an apartment soon.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Gina said…

    The food looks so good Tigermama! Hopefully you guys will find a good place to live as well, real soon! : ) The kids really do look happy! : )

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kappa no He said…

    Beautiful pictures, and kids!

    Gunshots...not so much.

    I hope you find a great place with plenty of electricity and lots of quiet.

     
  • At 7:02 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Glad things are going well.

    Certainly sounds like it is a lively place.

    Hope you find a nice place to live soon.

    I know nothing about Beirut, but one of my first considerations about any place I live is how far are the schools. Really the first thing I think about. I guess since kids walk to school in Japan that is a big thing for me. Who wants their kids spending hours just walking to and from school, yk? Is that a concern there or can you drive the kids to school or use a bus?

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Gina, I will feel so much better when we have a place to live and get really settled.

    Sherry, I agree with you about the school location. Our first choice is to live right next to the school but there`s not a lot availiable around there....at least in our budget. We are hopeful though. There is a bus for the school but I won`t use it....no seatbelts and the commute is really long because of the horrible traffic and all the pick-ups along the way. I have learned that if you leave before 7:15 it only takes 2 minutes to get to the school from our neighborhood of choice. From 7:20 on it takes at least 30 minutes.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, I'm finally tuning in..
    GREAT GREAT GREAT to hear from you and see the (always smiling) kids and all that very familiar food!!!

    I am going to Israel this summer, but as you know, it is only a one-way visit: you must come to me!

    Good luck with your new life. I hope it stays exciting yet peaceful

    :-)

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Manager Mom said…

    I never really got how gun shooting makes people feel festive and happy. To each culture their own, I guess.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Mary Witzl said…

    Wow -- I was expecting Japan and here you are in Lebandon! The gunshots would have made me jump -- as would the electricity cutting out so often (though it does the same here).

    Hope things get easier and more relaxed. The food looks great, as do those old buildings!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home