Tigermama talks

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

First Obento of the Year

Today is the day the kids start going full days to yochien. Our yochien likes to ease them into the new school year and so they have been coming home at noon until today. This means it`s time to get back to obento making (only twice a week, thank Goodness!) which in turn means it`s time to get up a little bit earlier. :) My first obento of the year is not the masterpiece I had been planning. I actually got the day wrong (add it to my long list of blunders!) and thought the first obento wasn`t until Friday. WRONG! Good thing my yochien mom friend takes pity on me and keeps me informed. Thankfully, I had enough ingriedients on hand to make something acceptable!



So, there you have it. A healthy yet boring lunch for the kids.

The funny thing is that we are leaving tomorrow for the Golden Week holiday so the kids only get one full day of school for the entire month. We come back on May 6th and will resume yochien from the 7th. So much for "easing them in"!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Sarah@mommyinjapan said…

    My experience has been similar. The first two weeks were half days and then from Monday they had school lunch. I don't have to make obento so that's not a problem but on Tuesday morning, as we were walking out the door, I realized that I hadn't washed her ohashi set. My husband and I went into emergency-mode and washed it up lickity-split but the experience made me realize that I need to be more vigilant about the details.

    I have a nice neighbor who helps me out, too!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Perogyo said…

    That looks so healthy! I am trying to invlude more veggies in my husband's bento but he's not fond of the stuff I like, like pumpkin and cauliflower. So your ideas are very helpful- hope you don't mind me stealing them!
    What is that with the tomato- peas?

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Sarah, those details are what gets me every time....even when my husband is here and translating the daily announcement sheets.

    Medea, those are edamame. I shelled them because I wanted the kids to get a lot of them. And, steal away...hopefully I`ll have some better ideas in May!

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sheri said…

    Looks yummy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home