Tigermama talks

Monday, April 16, 2007

Inexpensive Fun

There are a lot of great things to see and do here on Okinawa but some of them can be quite costly especially when you factor in the gasoline, highway fees, admission prices, and eating out (because it takes all day to get there and I really don`t feel like making a bento!). So recently we have been exploring ways to have fun that are FREE! Thankfully, we have many things to choose from. A couple of weeks ago my LSF (Lovely Scottish Friend) suggested we drive to a place that is directly below the flight line of the Naha airport and watch the airplanes landing. It was fantastic and we are planning to go again this weekend!



There are lots of beaches within a 20-minute drive that we like to play at when the weather cooperates. As well as a ton of great playgrounds. Apparently our town has the best playgrounds on the whole Island and we take full advantage of them. These pictures are from the parent-student picnic last week and show one of the parks we like:





The main street in Naha is usually bustling and fun to walk along especially on the weekends when they close it to traffic. It`s a tourist hot spot and there are quite a few buskers who provide entertainment. The kids got these balloon animals created for them before their very eyes. The guy makes them for donations and I think I gave 500 yen and a can of coffee for both of them. Pretty cool, I think!





Of course the best thing we like to do is hang out with our friends and it`s so amazing that one of our favourite friends just happens to live right down the road. That would be my LSF and her handsome dh. They have a huge yard, friendly dogs, an endless suply of konyaku jellies, a huge rubber ball, and they are great company. What more could anyone want?



I`d like to post a picture of the two of them but I have to ask first. :)

6 Comments:

  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Trisha said…

    Nothing beats free fun! You have inspired me to seek some out this weekend!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, crocs too.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Let me know what you find Trisha. I imagine it`s more difficult on the mainland especially in a large city.

    Jan, we LOVE our crocs....even dh!

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Midori said…

    Finding free things to do is hard, especially when the weather is bad! We have year-passes to the aquarium so that is what I always end up doing when I can`t think of anything better!!!

    TG and TB look so grown-up sitting on that exercise ball!!!

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Gina said…

    Oh, I think having free fun rocks! Best type of fun, I think! We have free fun most of the time over here at our house too. LOL. Big fan of the free fun! Everyone once in a great while, we take the kids someplace special and we pay (through the nose, lol). But it's few and far between, sigh. I hear ya! Especialy with like you said, the gas, highway fees, admission prices, and eating out and stuff. Sheesh!

    But Tigermama, my hubby *loves* to go and watch the planes take off. In Narita there's an awesome place to watch that! I've been once. But reading your post inspires me to totally go and watch the airplanes again once it gets a bit warmer! Thanks for reminding me of the airplane watching!

    Like Midori we have a year pass someplace too. We have a year pass to a bokujo (farm), we go there often as well.

    And PS, We're a croc family over here as well. I have black, the boys have light blue and DH has Navy. I want the new Mickey Mouse crocs for the boys. I might get them this coming summer. : ) Crocs rock! And PS, they originally came from Denver Colorado where I am from! : )

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Yep, we love our crocs! I think we`ll be getting another set for the family to get us through the summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home