Tigermama talks

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cupping

On Monday I went to see a "cupping doctor". He is an acupuncturist who has added this technique to his repertoire. Basically, he pricks you with needles to release blood, then he lights a match and creates a vacuum within a glass jar that he sets on your back over the pricks creating a suction. Wow, that was a horrible explanation. Can you tell I haven`t been writing lately?! Here is a much better explanation taken from Wikipedia:

"Fire cupping is a method of applying acupressure by creating a vacuum next to the patient's skin. In traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) it involves placing glass, plastic, or bamboo cups on the skin with a vacuum. The therapy is used to relieve what is called "stagnation" in TCM terms, and is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases such as the common cold, pneumonia, and bronchitis. Cupping is also used to treat back, neck, shoulder, and other musculoskeletal pain. Its advocates claim it has other applications as well. This technique, in varying forms, has also been found in the folk medicine of Vietnam, the Balkans, modern Greece, Mexico, and Russia, among other places, including Iran where it is called 'bod-kesh' meaning literally 'pull with air'"

The reason I got it done was that I am tired of getting migranes and the friend who recomended this doctor has referred 3 or 4 other people with headaches and they have all raved about the results. We shall see.

The experience was odd but not too painful (the pricks hurt a bit) and the doctor was wonderful. He had a great personality and was very knowledgable about "Natural Health". I found it interesting that he could tell by looking at me that I rarely cry. He told me I need to cry more, by watching sad movies or something. Or........perhaps I could start thinking about my impending move away from all of my good friends here on Okinawa. :( :( :( IT`S WORKING! Waaaaa!


This is a bad picture but it`s really hard to take a picture of one`s own back!

I had nine cups, so there are nine round bruises on my back at this time. An unexpected bonus of the bruises was that I got to use the one near my neck to get one of my kindergarten English classes to pay attention. I was teaching halloween vocabulary and came upon the card "vampire". Well, the kids were out of control, screaming and not paying attention so I casually pulled the neck of my shirt down and said, "See what can happen if a vampire gets you!". The class was speechless (a first for this particular group) and the looks on their faces was priceless. The Japanese teacher and I could not stop laughing. Don`t worry, I explained it was just a joke!!!

Bye for now!

13 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    looks like big ole leech hickeys.

    Well, I get the occasional migraine, but not often enough to consider getting CUPPED... let us know how the headaches go.....

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Sarah@mommyinjapan said…

    I've seen that on TV. It looked really interesting but I don't know anyone who's ever tried it. You are very brave. I suck at trying new things.

    Let us know if your headaches go away.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh that looks painful but I hope it works for you.

    I cry a lot. I never get headaches. Hmmmm. Coincidence?

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger coarse gold girl said…

    LOL. I can imagine the kid's faces. Priceless. They'll never forget the english word VAMPIRE now!

    Hope it helps with the headaches.

    Laura

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said…

    That looks unbelievably painful. How did you stand it??? Hope your migraines go away...either from the cupping or from crying more! :) Tears of happiness only though. :)

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Blogger Sheri said…

    lmao at telling the kindy kids about the vampire! ha ha!
    don't know about the no crying no headaches-I cry a lot and I get wicked headaches, so...?
    I'd be interested in trying it, I sure hope it works for you!

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Sheri said…

    LMao at showing it to the kindy kids-ha ha!Anyway to get them to shut up :)
    Hope it works for you-I'd be interested in trying it!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    I'm with Jan; looks like big old love hickeys to me too.

    "Cupping because of migraines" Right? Is that your story and you're sticking to it???

    LOL!

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger marianne said…

    Bloody hell.That looks very impressive!? Hope it works with the migraines.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My husband once made the cups for a local guy who does that! We had one left over and that is what I use to give DH his pills every morning!
    viki in chiba

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Wow, thanks for all the comments!

    The cupping really didn`t hurt....seriously....well, just a touch. Anyhoo, I have to go back on the 2nd of November and I will try to get some "action shots" of the jars sucking up the bad blood.

    As for the headaches, I did get one this week but it was on a day when a small typhoon blew by and I know that air pressure changes can trigger headaches for me. Also, I haven`t finished my treatment yet so I`m still optimistic for a good outcome.

    Sheri, the crying is something I need to do for overall health, it`s not related to the headaches.

    Viki, nice to see you here. Has your husband made the cups for anyone in Okinawa.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Gina said…

    I hope they help with your migraines. : )

    Now you can at least say,.....you've been cupped! Ha ha ha, how cute. I bet not many people can say that, that's for sure. : )

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Lily said…

    I have never heard of "cupping". I too am curious if it has any significant effect.

    Its hard to leave somewhere that you like but remember that you already have a friend in Fujigaoka :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home