Tigermama talks

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Poetry Cafe

Last week we had "Poetry Cafe" night at Tigergirl's school. It was such a wonderful event for the parents and for the children. In a nutshell, all elementary school children (teachers and parents too) are given the opportunity to perform an original poem in front of an audience made up of other students, parents, and teachers. The children use time at home as well as time in the classroom during the 2 weeks beforehand to prepare their poems. The parent committee (of which I am a part) decorated 4 rooms with various themes (Spa, Garden, Living Room, and Curtain-call) to make room for all of the poets. The rooms were amazing, covered with meters of gauzy materials and beautiful background collages. I wish I had snapped some pictures but I was too busy acting as one of the MC's. The poems were read simultaneously within the four rooms with 3 sections of 8-10 poets in each room. I think those numbers show you how successful the event was and how much the children enjoy writing and reading poetry. I was especially proud that Tigergirl chose to participate. Here is her poem:

My Cat

My Cat has three colors

Orange, white, and black

With a cute black stripe

Right across her nose

Her eyes are as green

As grass

Her belly as fluffy

As cotton candy

She rubs my chin

Purrs and purrs.

When she is excited

Her pupils open wide

I love my cat

I always will

By: Tigergirl


I'm so happy that the kids can attend a school that encourages and supports events like this. :)

6 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Gina said…

    I think she's going to an excellent school too. To let the kids grow like this and do poetry, I find that really very cool.

    And her poem was cute. I suspect katykins was the inspiration here! : )

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger jan in nagasaki said…

    i write stupid poems and every other line rhymes.

    her poem has a nice rhythm and sense and doesn't rhyme. I think it is amazing!!! I am very impressed. (not that my opinion counts much.. I barely passed english 101 in college...)

    cool, cool, very cool...

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Gina, thank you! Katykins is indeed the inspiration and the poem describes her to a tee!

    Jan, your poetry is poignant and funny!

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger marianne said…

    tigergirl! You are talented! Seriously great poem and what a fantatsic school.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Kappa no He said…

    Fantastic poem! And I remember when you guys got that cat, too.

     
  • At 3:27 AM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Thanks M!

    Kappa, the cat has brought nothing but joy into our lives. Well, hair too but mostly joy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home