Tigermama talks

Friday, January 18, 2008

"It`s Not A Tumor!"

You know when you have to do something and you think, "oh, that will be no problem. There`s nothing difficult or fearful about that", and then you go to do it and it`s surprisingly difficult? Well, that happened to me today. I went to a neurologist to get some help for my migranes because the tylenol isn`t working so well anymore and I`m starting to get nauseous and throw-up at the onset. Anyhoo, my mil and husband thought it would be a good idea to get an MRI. In Canada I think you would have to wait ages to get an MRI, but here you can just go to a doctor and get one on the spot (it`s cheap too...about $60). So, there I am in the office trying to explain my symptoms in Japanese:

Doctor: Is the pain "don don" or "pari pari"
Me: Um, "don don" usually on the right side near the front of my head.
Doctor: Do you see light behind your eyes?
Me: Sometimes and it helps if I do this "guuuu" (make pushing movement against my right eye).
Doctor: Ah, how about an MRI.
Me: okay.

So now I go to wait for my MRI and I have just enough time to imagine the worst. A big tumor that will have to be cut out leaving me a drooling idiot (literally). I actually saw a vision of me lying in bed with spittle coming out of my mouth (dh was wiping it away, bless him!). Try to remember the neuropsychology class I took 8 years ago and what important functions the right frontal lobe is responsible for. Decide it`s responsible for "emotions" and think that`s not so bad...might even be beneficial to lose some of THAT part of my brain (nervous laughter in my head). Tick tock. They move me to the MRI waiting area where an ancient lady is wheeled out as some drool slides out of the corner of her mouth.

Now it`s my turn. Take off all jewelry. Tell the nurse I don`t have any steel limbs or pins inside my body (forgetting about my permanent retainer for the time being). Lie down on the bed. Put the earphones on (MRI`s are really noisy). Watch as the "hannibal Lecter" type mask is slowly descending upon my face. Panic. Seriously, I felt my stomach drop and started to hyperventilate. The attendant is asking if I`m okay and I`m thinking, "NO, I`M NOT!". Get a grip on my emotions and breathe. Say I`m okay just a little "doki doki" (sound of a heartbeating). The attendant hands me a device that acts as an emergency call button. Feel a bit better. Procede whilst praying the Hail Mary. Start to calm down as the procedure begins and then remember that I have a permanent retainer in my mouth! Start to panic again (mildly) as I wonder what will happen to my mouth as the giant magnet pulls the retainer out. Nothing happens but I feel the retainer touch my tongue. Wait, that`s my tongue touching the retainer. PHEW, everything`s okay! Hear a voice say, "IT`S FINISHED". Think to myself, "Is that God`s voice?" then realize no, it`s the attendant and I`m coming out of the tube. Hooray!

Now I get some more time to imagine the worst except I`m so glad to be out of the machine that I don`t imagine anything too bad. Decide to send a text message to my LSF (Lovely Scottish Friend) in Okinawa telling her about the MRI. She texts me back and says she had an MRI and they found out she does in fact have a brain. I laugh (comic relief) and tell her I will call her if I do have a tumor (more comic relief). Get called into the doctor`s office to be told I have a perfectly normal brain. No problem. It`s obviously severe migranes you have been experiencing (think to myself in an "Arnold" accent, "IT`S NOT A TUMOR!" and then think, "wow, I`m actually happy to hear that it`s only severe migranes.") and here`s a prescription for a drug that should work a heck-of-a-lot better than tylenol.

It`s really nice to know that I don`t have a tumor. I know that sounds a bit daft but when you get headaches there`s a possiblility it`s a "stage 4 gemistocytic astrocytoma of the right frontal lobe" (Don`t you watch House?).

Ja ne.

12 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Lulu said…

    Glad to hear it is not a tumor! I can understand your worry..I had a MRI several years ago here when I was a student and I had the same worry even though I was almost certain it wasn`t a tumor!

    The drugs for migrains in Japan suck...Try to get some immigram from someone in your home country...it works better!

    When I get migraines I cut out coffee and chocolate and that helps...It doesn`t work for everyone though!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger illahee said…

    i'm glad it's not a tumor!

    i've had MRIs twice here in japan, once for my lower back and once for my knee. i think having one done for my head would be terrifying!

    i haven't had a migraine since i got preggers with hiro. i hope they don't come back!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Viki in Chiba said…

    I had the MRI on my back when I had my hernia. Didn't panic as I was up for anything to help remove the pain!
    I've never had a migrain, but I'm oposite of lulu in that I only drink caffine when i have a headache. SOmetimes people are just suffering caffine withdrawels when they have headaches. That is why I refuse caffine drinks and only use as medications.
    viki in chiba--caffine free for days now! (Oh, I forgot chocolate has some caffine!)

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    send me your phone number right now so that I can call you....

    just to say Hi and wow!

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Sheri said…

    Glad to hear you're only suffering from severe migraines! Have you gone cupping since you moved?

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Sarah@mommyinjapan said…

    I know it's different but I felt like that when I went to the hospital to be induced with my first child. Half of me wanted to do it and know (the baby) and the other half of me just wanted to go home. I could be eternally pregnant, couldn't I? I wasn't ready for the pain. Plus we didn't know much about the baby and we were nervous. I was happy once she was born!

    I have had an MRI once, too, to try and figure out why I was having seizures. It was in the States, though. The waiting time is scary. I'm glad everything is all right.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger marianne said…

    Very glad that it's not a tumour here too:-)And can imagine myself being just as scared as you were.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Lulu, thanks for the comment. I looked up the drug my doctor prescribed and it has a pretty good reputation in Canada so I`m hopeful that it will work. If not, I`ll have to stock up on my trip back in March.

    Illahee, I started getting migranes AFTER my pregnancies (I had never had any kind of headaches before that) so perhaps there is a hormonal link. I hope yours don`t come back too!

    Viki, I know there is a strong link between caffeine withdrawal and headaches but I don`t think that is the case with me as I don`t drink enough coffee to go through withdrawal. I actually have some contraband from Canada that contains caffeine (and codeine) and it works on the less severe migranes. Unfortunately, it doesn`t do it for the doozies.

    Jan, I`ll be in touch!

    Sheri, I haven`t been cupping since November but it`s not supposed to be something you need to continue. It did seem to help a little bit as I didn`t get as many migranes after I had it done.

    Sarah, I think it`s the fear that makes things hard. Fear of the unknown, fear of pain, fear of fear. What`s that quote, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". So true.

    Marianne, thanks! :)

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger flapjacs said…

    Oh migraines. I had them badly as a teen (stress related they said) thankfully now they are just headaches and not TOO bad.

    My experience of MRIs is from Dr. House too so as much as I didn't want to laugh I found this post really funny.

    I am so glad you're alright, in that it's not serious.

    I would suggest a diary tracking them as they can be hormonally related or food triggered.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Hi Bloomin,

    This post was supposed to be funny so I`m glad you laughed! I`m also glad your migranes have changed into headaches...much more tolerable.

    I`ve started the diary so we shall see!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Gina said…

    (sorry, I am a bit late, I didn't scroll down, stupid me)

    I just wanted to say, I am *so* glad you are okay and healthy and that it isn't a tumor. OMG! Tigermama, you must have been really worried. I mean, really and truly worried. : (

    I am so sorry. And seriously, thank god, you are well!

    Good to know you are okay and know it's just a migraine. But I bet the migraines must be hell, still though. Just feeling glad you are well though. Okay, I am shutting up now, lol! : )

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Mary Witzl said…

    Ooh -- MRIs! I had one of these in Tokyo about eight years ago, and just as I thought I could take no more, they finally shut it off and let me out. I'm sure there's some reason why they can't build one with a window so that you can see what's going on outside, but I would have found that a lot easier to bear.

    I have early onset osteoarthritis and was so grateful when the doctor confirmed this that I could have danced around the room. I'd been living with a whole medical book of problems swimming around in my head and osteoarthritis was the least of my worries.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home