Tigermama talks

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Tigerboy`s Open House

A couple of weeks ago I went to Tigerboy`s school for Open House. He loves his class and his teacher (and his teacher`s teenaged daughter...but that`s another story!) and so he was really proud to show me a typical day in his life at school. We made a snack together and then he showed me the "kitchen" area.

He really likes those rubber gloves!

Next he showed me his plant. Each child brought in their own plant to take care of over the course of the year. As you can see in the following picture, some of them are not doing very well. TB`s plant is the one with the little red flowers....still living but not exactly thriving. :)


Here is a lovely drawing for fall:

Tigerboy learned all about trees and leaves and how they fall off when the weather turns colder. After he drew his picture, the teacher asked him about it. The commentary below the drawing is what Tigerboy had to say about his work;

"There`s a guy watering the plant, this is water. There`s an owl on the tree. These are the leaves falling down and this is the sky. It will drink water because the water is going up to the leaf from the roots. I am a leaf and these are the roots!"

I like that the owl seems to be upside down, much like a bat. Since I know Tigerboy really likes bats, I think he meant "bat" when he said "owl"....I suppose I will never know the truth about that.

Now it`s time for him to "read" me a story. His favourite part was holding the pointer but I really liked the story itself. The plot was to the point and the pictures were interesting and very expressive!


And here is his lovely pumpkin:

As you can see, it`s much the same as all the other pumpkins in the class although, if you look closely, you can see Tigerboy`s "exacting" personality shining through. His little orange blobs are all in a neat line!

I also like this Scarecrow:

I love that he says, "Maybe it will scare a crow"! lol.

There was a whole section of the classroom dedicated to Arabic learning and I can`t believe I didn`t get any pictures of it. Tigerboy can write his name in Arabic, count to 20, and read 18 syllables. Pretty impressive!

10 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger marianne said…

    Lovely that they have open days and you get to see what your kiddies get up to! Love his art work and lol at the pumpkin!And as for the owl...brilliant!

    BTW,he looks totally cool with his hair spiked up:)

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger shinshu life said…

    Wow. I think i want to go to Tigerboy's school!

    I'm impressed at the range of activities he's doing. I love the pink rubber gloves! Is that practice for when they all go back to their countries and have to leave the maids behind? ;P

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Lulu said…

    Tigerboy is such a cutie! I love the hair spiked up like that...

    I love the sound of the open days- they do them in Japan too hey? I don`t think they are so common here in Australia.

    That picture is great!

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger Leslie said…

    People must tell you this all the time, but he has beautiful eyes.

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Gina said…

    I really enjoyed looking at Tigerboy's artwork! And I like the idea of them having a plant they will take care of all year long, that's a cool idea! Way to go Tigerboy!!!! : )

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Marianne, I really enjoyed going in to see what he does all day. It`s one of the reason`s I volunteer in dd`s class.

    Fukases, Lol about the rubber gloves! I do think it`s a love that I should encourage for the future.

    Lulu, In Japan, we would go in for parent-teacher conferences and they would showcase the kid`s art etc. but it was never Student-led like it is here.

    Leslie, thank you for commenting and for the nice compliment about Tigerboy`s eyes!

    Gina, they are really pushing "nature" and taking care of the earth so the plant is an extension of that. I think it`s a good idea too!

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Tigermama, thank you so much for coming by, I sure missed you! I hope all is well and your little boy is darling, the such looks wonderful!!! I hope you come to Japan soon!!!

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Rosa said…

    Hi, Tigermama! I came over from Gina's blog. Those pictures of kindergarten really took me back--that kitchen! just like when I was in kindergarten!

    Your boy is a cutie! And I love that owl/bat, too. Too cool!

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Kappa no He said…

    Oh, he is adorable! And I can't wait to read the blog about him and his teenaged girlfriend (??? am I right ???).

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Tigermama said…

    Hey Girl Japan! We hope to spend next Christmas/New Years in Japan. :)

    Hi Rosa, Thanks for stopping by! My school had a kitchen like that too! Must be standard for North American kindergartens!

    Kappa, he REALLY likes his teacher`s daughter. It`s so cute!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home